One of the questions I know that I'm going to be asked a lot when I get back to California is: "How was Bates?" Granted, it's also a question that I've been contemplating over myself these past couple of days, so I figure getting it into writing would be a good idea since it will force me to organize my thoughts a little better as opposed to my usual spewing of general excitement in nonsensical words and sounds.
Admittedly, trying to answer the question of "How was Bates" has been kind of weird for me. I mean, for these past three weeks, I've been constantly surrounded by inspiration, artistry, and a community of absolutely amazing people, so trying to describe my time at Bates is hard because this whole experience has been so special to me; trying to describe it out loud almost seems of bad taste. Besides, I don't personally feel like I have the capabilities to properly describe my Bates experience and do it justice (I'm going to admit to not being a very good writer). However, here I am trying anyway because 1) I realize how stupid I must sound with this whole "only special to me" business and 2) it would be completely selfish of me to not share even a little about my Bates experience.
So...how was my Bates experience? If I may quote one of my awesome new friends, Taylor Augustine, during a conversation we were having the other night: "I think I could honestly say that Bates changed my life."
um...yeah, that pretty much sums it up :p I've already said this, but imagine being surrounded 24/7 by some of most inspiring, artistic, supportive people in the world. I mean, I took class everyday with some of the best dancers out there and from some of the best teachers. I was in rehearsals everyday working on different projects with some of the most brilliant minds and I literally ate every meal with probably some of the coolest people I have ever met. You can't leave an environment like that with out being changed.
And changed I was :) Now I don't necessarily think Bates has changed me in the sense that I'm now a completely different person. In fact, I'm probably just as much the person I was a month ago before I left San Diego, but I feel that I'm now a much more inspired, driven, and focused me. The time I had spent dancing at that small liberal arts college has reminded me how much I love this thing we call dance and I'm now definitely a lot less scared to call myself a dancer.
In a gist...
1) I learned a lot
2) I met a lot of really cool people.
3) Bates = KICK ASS!
So I'm going end there because if I'm going to try to write more, this post will never end up getting published (I'll get distracted and save it where ever I've left off and continue it later. This will then happen repeatedly for probably the next couple of weeks where I will then just give up the post entirely).
:)
TTFN,
Calvin
PB (post blog): Varone for President (^_^)v
No comments:
Post a Comment