Saturday, July 17, 2010

I'm in Philly!!

So really...I'm only in the Philadelphia International Airport waiting to transfer to my next flight that will take me to Portland, ME, but I've never been to Philadelphia and something like "I'm in Philly" felt like an appropriate thing to say (plus, it's just fun. There aren't many places that have a cool fun shortened name like Philadelphia. C'mon, it's PHILLY!!)

I'll have to admit, this probably isn't the ideal way that I'd choose to start this particular blog, but seeing as how I didn't actually decide to start a blog about my East Coast trip until we started to land in Philadelphia, I'm not going to be too picky about the beginnings of this blog.

So originally I wasn't going to blog at all about this trip; I didn't really have a reason to start a new blog. Plus, I didn't really realize that I was actually going on this trip until basically now (though really, even now, sitting inside the Philadelphia International Airport, I'm kind of still not comprehending the fact that I'm on a trip and doing a dance festival). I don't know what it is about this particular trip, but going to the Bates Dance Festival, visiting Shawn in Boston, and visiting my sister in Baltimore all in one summer just seems so surreal; I don't imagine myself going on trips like these very often so all of this feels so unreal at the moment. On top of that, this is the first trip where I didn't fly out of LAX, meaning that I didn't go back home to Arcadia/El Monte first. I packed from my apartment in Hillcrest and was picked up and taken to the airport by Moae (thanks again!!). Maybe this trip is so strange for me because it's kind of the first trip that I'm making that doesn't physically involve my parents; this is like my first trip as an adult. Strange. Plus, this is also the first trip where I'm traveling and doing something all by myself (even when I went to NY last year, I had Morgan and Uncle Bobby, so I wasn't completely alone :P).

PS: This whole graduating from college and finished with school thing is still really weird. I don't know what I think about it yet, but all I know is that it's weird.

Anyway, so what changed my mind about blogging about this trip? There are actually several reasons for this and I will list them for you here (let's just say this trip has already started to be quite eventful and I barely left California 6 hours ago or so):

1) I bumped into Terry, Adrienne, and Olivia. Even better, they were on the same flight as me to Philadelphia. How random is that?! I was walking to the gate to board the plane when I hear my name out of no where from a familiar voice. I look around and lo and behold, it's Terry and her family. So they're flying to Philadelphia for a few days before they go on their trip to Italy and they just so happened to be taking the same flight as me (and sat in the row right in front of where I was sitting :p)

2) And guess who else was on this same flight? Cheetah Platt and one of his brothers. Random? Yes. So I remember Cheetah from his duet that he made with Carrie Prince four years ago when I still a freshman at UCSD. So now I've finally met the famous Cheetah Platt :p

3) I've learned a few things already having started this trip. One of them being: East Coast airports are so much better than West Coast airports. Granted, I've only been to SAN, LAX, JFK, and now PHL, so this is only an assumption and not a conclusion, but I still think East Coast airports and better than West Coast airports. Sure, SAN has free wireless, but the bathrooms are kind of gross and you'll have to admit, the facilities at SAN are kind of old. In general, SAN just looks old and in need of a few upgrades. And don't get me started about LAX. I hate LAX -_- Both JFK and PHL are pretty nice with much better bathrooms and nice decor in the terminals and outside of the gates.

---

Slight pause because my computer started running out of battery, so I needed to turn him off.

---

So now I'm back to this blog entry and quite frankly, I wasn't quite sure where I was going with that list up there anyway, so I'm just to jump forward 7 hours ahead of when I last stopped writing.

**SHAZZAM**

Where would you guess I would be 7 hours after I stopped writing in the Philadelphia International Airport? At Bates College of course! So I'm sitting here in my room, which is literally in an old house. I don't even know what to call the rooms because they're not dorms and they're not really residence halls, but literally Bates College turned the rooms in old houses into rooms for students, so that's where I am now just chilling on my bed inside Mitchell House; it's kind of cute, kind of old. You're also probably wondering: "But Calvin, why are you just sitting in your room on your computer when you've got so much exploring to do?" Well, my friend, let me tell you:

1) I would go out and explore and take a look around the campus seeing as I have nothing else to do until dinner tonight, but I've been flying/driving/sitting around in an airport for about 14 hours. It's quite hot in Lewiston, so I'm also really sweaty. The thing I really want to do right now, above all the other things, is shower and change. But I can't do that. Why? Because my luggage got lost -_- I believe they found it and it's flying into Portland, ME on a different flight from Philly as I type this right now. However, even then, I would still have wait until tonight before they actually deliver my luggage to Bates College in Lewiston. So basically, I have no clothes or shower materials with me; I only have my laptop and the Chronicles of Prydain.

and

2) I don't think there's much to see here. I'm literally in the middle of no where. Lewiston isn't a very big town and Bates isn't actually that big of a campus. There's a lot of trees and green things, which is nice, but having grown up in San Gabriel Valley, I can comparatively say that I'm in the middle of no where.

So I'm basically just sitting here in my room that's in this old house that's by this small school that's in this quaint little town just chilling (chilling hard!).

And I believe that should just about update y'all with the beginnings of my trip. There's probably more to come, but as of now, I'm just sitting. However, I'm sure things will pick-up very soon, so do look forward for more updates.

For now...

TTFN,
Calvin

1 comment:

  1. calvin! i really like your blog background! nice!

    will be reading this for sure!

    =joanie

    ReplyDelete